29 March 2013

Epic Mom

You know I love to read.
You long time fans know I don't just read political screeds (ie. my review of Romancing Mommy). Those always point out how ridiculous the Left and their cheerleaders are and can be pretty redundant. I mean after all we've had 5 years of "hilarity" from Barack Obama and after giving up so much of your personal liberty; what more is there to say?

 So the point of my post is this: The other day I was at my favorite Barnes & Noble, stimulating the economy of one of Chicago's more worthy suburbs, when I saw this book sitting on the "new releases" table.



The juxtaposition of the unhappy clay children getting run over by a Tonka Truck was too much to pass up. I picked up the book and flipped it open to a random page. Here is what I read on page 21:
In one of those rare moments of marital serenity when the children were asleep, the laundry was done, and the garbage had been taken out, I looked lovingly into my husband's eyes and asked the question many wives have asked their husbands throughout the ages: would you ever remarry should something happen to me?
I looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to go on about my endless patience, virtue, and great beauty (all lies, I know, but I like to hear it anyway). Instead, he just said, "no."
Confidently, I prodded. But why? Because nobody could compare? Who else can heat up a frozen pizza better? You couldn't find someone else to put up with your rants during a Bears game? Why would you never seek love like ours again?
"Because being married is like having a boss."
To quote the Brits, I was gobsmacked. My response to that statement could be heard across Western Avenue. But we needn't go there today. Instead, let me recount another tale that occurred while I was pregnant with my 3rd son and we had to determine who was going to get "fixed" due to some pregnancy issues. I had suggested he handle the deed. Snip snip done. His response?
"What if, God forbid, something happens to you and my next wife wants kids?"
I had a host of angry words to say about his "next wife."
"Hold on there," he interrupted. "That's no way to talk about my next wife....she hasn't even been born yet."
And this is ultimately why I love my husband. He has a marvelous sense of humor, doesn't let me get too self-indulgent, and refuses to follow the script. The unexpected can be so much more fun. Once I calm down.
The book is Epic Mom: Failing every day a little bit more than you by Marianne Walsh and Julie Harrison. I found myself completely engrossed in the stories and realized that I'd been standing there oblivious to where my kids had wandered off to. They could have been kidnapped, for god's sake, and here I was standing reading a book on motherhood and laughing out loud.

I bought the book.

 I know that this is off topic for my usual political commentary, but when I come across a really good book I like to share it with my Blogger community. At any time you can see what I'm reading by checking the blogroll "What's on my nightstand". I checked Marianne's bio and she's from the Beverly neighborhood and her husband "Joe" is a Chicago Fire-fighter.

I read almost all the book and it is filled with funny stories like the one above, so if you're a husband looking for a good Mothers' Day gift for your wife, mother or sister: look no further. I've saved you a trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look for that napkin holder you think your wife desperately needs.

You're welcome.

No comments: