29 September 2008

Salon: "Sarah Palin is Ruining My Life!"

Salon.com's Cary Tennis responds to a letter from a Democratic woman attorney who laments that she is consumed with hatred for Sarah Palin.

Dear Cary,

I am a Democrat, a mother of three, and a full-time attorney. During the primaries, I was torn between Hillary Clinton, who I believed had the experience to be president (and really, really, really wanted it), and Barack Obama, who I believed was not only highly capable (albeit less experienced), but also the more sincere of the two and who inspired me on an emotional level that Clinton did not. In addition, as my kind friends pointed out to me, Clinton was carrying a lot of baggage in terms of her own scandals, not to mention Bill's little problems. So, in the end, I did what my heart really wanted me to do all along and voted for Obama. And then I totally checked out of the election. I've always disliked the pettiness of politics, the lies, the mudslinging, the arguments over meaningless minutiae, the parsing of personalities ad infinitum, etc. My perspective was, short of Obama being caught on video strangling his children with his own two hands, he had my vote, and thus I had no need to pay attention to all the nonsense that would occur in both campaigns prior to the election.

And then came Sarah. My reaction to her, and the way the Republican Party threw her in our faces, and the pandering and hypocrisy that was behind their decision to do so, was immediate, visceral, and indeed, vicious. I have crossed every line I believed should never be crossed in public discourse -- I have criticized not only her policies and her record, but her hair, her personal style, her accent, her abilities as a mother, etc. I've also begun to suffer personally and professionally. I bore my friends with my constant tirades against her, and am constantly distracted from my work by my need to continually update myself on the latest criticism, and indeed, ridicule, of her. In my hatred for her, I have begun to hate myself.

I don't want this woman ruining my life before she even gets a chance to ruin our country. How do I stop? Is there a self-help group for this?

A "Hater"*

*As Sarah Palin calls all those who disagree with her (New York Times, Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008)


As Cary herself. an Uber-Liberal, inadvertently points out, this is nothing more than a bunch of emotionally immature adults "rebelling" against a strong "mother figure". Palin represents an authoritarian archetype, and the mewling groups of emotionally stunted Liberals have no other recourse except to have a "temper tantrum".

Makes perfect sense to me. How else can one categorize the Left in this country. They cast aspersions like manure at an Oklahoma cow-chip contest. They have call Dick Cheney "Darth Vader", Bush is an incompetent imbecile, Republicans are greedy evil hacks who are toadies to Big Oil....etc. There is a reason that it's called "Bush Derangement Syndrome" - it's the same mechanism that is driving the hatred of Sarah Palin. It's the same thing that sank Robert Bork, Clarence Thomas, and every other conservative who dares to show his or her face in public.

Cary Tennis says that Sarah Palin operates outside of the realm of reason. If you read the piece you'll see that for all the high-brow mention of psychological archetypes, Tennis is clearly projecting her own weaknesses (and those of her Liberal cohorts). Liberals don't have to debate, they don't have to have facts on their side: THEY EMOTE. They dismiss reason as an ivory tower and, instead focus on feelings.

For Tennis to portray Palin as an illogical sycophant of McCain does Palin, and all women a disservice.

The truth is that having Palin in the race scares the crap out of the Democrat party. And for good reason: She's a capable, articulate and strong woman - with the core beliefs of a solid conservative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to mention she is good looking has great legs and dosent look like a diesel dyke liberal butch yes i like her

Anonymous said...

Obama has won! What were those republicans smokin to choose a hillbilly bimbo? With this country slipping below the sea of national debt this is what they put up for V.P.?