As SCC and the mainstream news reported, Chicago Police Officer Richard Francis was murdered by a black female offender in front of A/3 headquarters last night. Apparently the offender is from Detroit and was here for some god-knows-what nefarious reason.
My thoughts and deepest prayers go out to his friends and family. This is a terrible, senseless loss and one which always tears me up whenever an officer is killed in the line of duty.
This tragic story shows that all officers need to be keenly aware that anytime, anywhere danger can be lurking.
The Dept of Justice keeps track of Law Enforcement officers killed LOD. Here is a list of situations in which POs were killed...all are from 2006.
In the 10-year span of 1997 through 2006, 562 officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty.
* 38 years old—the average age of the officers who died from felonious attacks.
* 11 years—the slain officers’ average length of law enforcement service.
* 45 of the officers killed were male.
* 38 of the victim officers were white; 5 were black; 1 was Asian/Pacific Islander;
and 1 was an American Indian/Alaskan Native.
* 12 officers died in 2006 as a result of felonious attacks during arrest situations.
* 10 officers were fatally assaulted when ambushed.
* 8 officers were killed when responding to disturbance calls (e.g., bar fights,
family quarrels), and 8 officers were killed while conducting traffic pursuits or
From 1997 to 2006, there were 633 known assailants to law enforcement. I just noticed that of the 633; 355 were White and 260 were Black. It's interesting to note that the FBI appears to be obfuscating the fact that Hispanics commit crimes. Hispanic offender data is being commingled with Whites so that it appears that Whites commit just as much crimes as Blacks. You can view the table here.
Well this is no time for a rant on the leaching political correctness that is endemic to our culture and government. That is for another time.
God speed, Officer. If you're in LE, please be careful out there. Stay safe!